Friday, June 12, 2009

What a week!

Well, this past week started on sunny note. The kids were really excited about doing a lemonade stand, during the community garage sale. We made treats and they had one heck of a stand. Unfortunately their patience didn't last long. Evidently they don't quite have the stamina for a lemonade stand, but hopefully they learned a lesson.

After that, the weather has taken a turn for the worse. The next day, we had our tornado come through. And since then, we've had 6 days of what they call "severe weather". I thought today was suppose to be the end of it, but now I hear it won't be normal again, until Monday. Oh my! We've been starting off with warm, sunny blue skies, then anywhere between noon and 3 we get anything from pouring rain, hail, major thunder and lightning to funnel clouds, or tornado warnings.


The kids always seem to make the most of it. Just a few hours before these pictures were taken, Caitlin was crouched in the hall, with the rest of her class for almost 30 minutes, as a tornado warning passed. Caleb and I were out doing errands when the skies opened up and POURED on us. We made it into Costco and it was like a ghost town and I kept hearing bits and pieces of people's conversations. I finally asked someone if something was going on and they said the tornado sirens had gone off a few miles away. On the bright side, it was a LOVELY shopping experience, but quite erie. I figured we were safer in there, than in our car though.


The kids had fun playing in all the rain water, after the storm moved out.



Now, I LOVE a good storm, but that tornado has given me a whole knew appreciation for the sky. There is definitely a hint of fear, now, when anything weather related happens. The other night I was taking a bath and I kept hearing loud noises, then heard the wind howling through the open window. I don't think I've ever hopped out of the tub so fast. I turned on the TV to see if there was a tornado warning and it was just severe thunderstorms. Then I went to the window to enjoy the show. Wow, was it impressive.






1 comment:

Linda and Dave Browne said...

That looked like a wonderful lemonade stand! Did they make any money? As for the weather---I can completely understand. I have LOVED thunderstorms since I was a child---the more they rattle the windows the better I like them, but now when they bring pouring rain and extensive wind, I'm a little nervous. Hang in there and be safe! Love you!!