Friday, March 27, 2009

Blizzard 2009

Do I sound like the weather people or what! I guess after hearing about nothing else for48 hours, I couldn't help myself. Yes, Thursday we had a blizzard. Caleb woke me up at 5 and I drug him back to bed. I thought I'd check the school closures, just to see if they had anything posted yet.(we only had about 2 inches of snow at this point) Lo and behold, they had canceled for the day. I was a little bewildered, but figured that they probably didn't want to be trying to get all those kids home early...in a blizzard. They were right.

This little bunny stayed hunkered down for quite a while, as the storm started up.
Then he decided to find better cover.
And then it started to get really nasty out.

Of course the kids didn't believe me that it wasn't going to be too fun to play in. I had to keep up on the shoveling, so, they came out for a while.

It was pretty miserable. It felt like shard of glass were pelting you in the face.


The girls fit in a couple trips down the hill.

Note the encrusted eyebrows and eyelashes!



Poor Caleb! It didn't take him too long, before he was ready to head in!
I love this picture. Can we sing "snowflakes that fall on my nose and eyelashes."
It kept snowing all night. It was the weirdest night. It was so BRIGHT. It looked like morning out and there wasn't even a moon. It was quite weird!


I loved my lights in the snow. Yes, I know, I'm weird! The one on the end, ended up getting totally covered.
This is what the backyard looked like, in the morning.

The kids were a little anxious to get outside, as soon as they got up!

We ended up with about 10 1/2 inches most places, with a few drift that were about 3 1/2 feet.
Snow Angels








Me and my girl!




The backyard


A snow drift.
This snow was weird. Our snow here is usually VERY light and fluffy. This snow you didn't even sink to the ground in, unless you jumped.


Snow cave, with the driveway shoveling.

I thought all these icicles were cool, not very pretty hanging off of the radon pump, but cool nonetheless.





More icicles.
Then we decided to make the trek up to Caitlin's school. They have lots of hills. The kids had a bawl.
Caleb was quite nervous. He told me "Please don't send me down by myself, I'm to frightened." I had to laugh at that one. Needless to say. I was exhausted, since I had to go down with him EVERY time. The up part got old really quick.
Caitlin was my daredevil, as usual. She borrowed the people's jump next to us. She thought it was GREAT!

Caleb and I
Caleb FINALLY started going down by himself, the last 3 runs!
I enjoyed NOT making the trip back up.



More icicles.



After sledding for 3 hours in the blistering sun, we pretty much dragged ourselves back home. Unfortunately none of us had enough sunscreen on. The kids got burnt in places I didn't know could burn. Maybe next time they'll believe me, when I tell them they need more!

We really have enjoyed having some big snow to play in. The last time we had more than a few inches, was back in November. We are in much need of moisture. I'm sure my lawn is happy! Hopefully I'll see it again soon!

3 comments:

Linda and Dave Browne said...

Wow! What fun!!! Great pictures. Ryan was a little hesitant as a smaller kiddo when sledding down one of our bigger hills. Stef on the other hand I had to worry about not killing herself. I bet you were all tired, but what a fun way to get tired. And, maybe you need a snow blower afterall! :-)

Nana and Papa said...

Wow! I wish I were there to play, however, I get to play with boxes and more boxes...did I tell you how much I don't like moving...:-)? However, I am unpacking in the sun! Did I tell you how much I love the sunshine? I love the pictures, seems like they both change everytime you do a post. I miss you all dearly and love you even moreXXXOOO Mom
I hope to see you all very soon!

Stef said...

What fun! I would have loved to have been there to take Ethan sledding and play in the snow. He keeps wanting to play in the snow and none here. just rain. UGH. I guess rain is good since we're in a drought but snow would be more fun! Maybe soon! ;)