Thursday, December 11, 2008

The Perfect Tree



Well, after doing a lot of research on line, I finally came to the conclusion that we would not be continuing our annual tradition of going to the Christmas tree farm and cutting down our own tree. The trees just take too long to grow up here in Colorado. I did find one u-cut place within a 2 hour radius, but they were only open on the weekends, which just doesn't work for us. I just couldn't bring myself to go buy one out of a parking lot stand. So, we took the hour drive to the mountain, to a place that looked quaint.

It was a nice drive, the roads were the worst on our driveway. We saw a herd of probably over 20 elk on both edges of the road. They were huge!

We passed a wildlife refuge with buffalo




and these. I'm not positive what kind of animals they are.
It was fun to see all the wildlife.

They had just received a fresh shipment of trees. So, we found our favorite, Douglas Fir, in no time.

The kids had fun checking out the decorations.



The iced over stream was also a hit.




We had a fun time making new traditions. Now to decorate it. I have to say, putting the lights on, is not my favorite chore. I'm too much of a perfectionist!

Our water heater got fixed this morning. I never realized how much I took hot or warm water for granted. With the last 3 nights in the teens, we could have all used a hot shower/bath. We kept going to wash our hands, forgetting we had no hot water, and we were greeted with icy coldness. I'll be happy to not be boiling water all day! We are very thankful to have the basics again. Even more thankful it was under warranty still. After googling my problem, I was a little disconcerted that the first hit was a site with hundreds of complaints about this same problem with this same water heater. Many complaints about whirlpool's customer service and the fact that they seemed to be still selling the same water heater with a faulty part that lasts only a few months. I was tempted to just replace it, but decided I'd give the warranty a chance. They had the part next day shipped and the service tech came out today and fixed it at no charge. He shared my opinion of whirlpool and said that he has replaced this part many times, but it seems to fix the problem. So, I'm so far happy with the service and even more happy I didn't have to pay for anything. Now lets just pray it stays lit! :)

3 comments:

Linda and Dave Browne said...

Hooray for a fixed hot water heater!

And, how fun that you were able to find the place with just the perfect Christmas tree. I miss the wonderful freshness of a green tree. This is NOT the place to find any nice trees. Ah well. We bought a little fiber optic fake that will do, and a neighbor let us borrow another artificial. Eventually we hope to find our own geniune, truly perfect fake tree. :-)

I love Caleb and the ice stream too! And, tell Peanut I love her long hair!

Have fun decorating! We love you guys!

Nana and Papa said...

I miss all of you!!! I'm glad that you decided on the hour drive. It
sounds like an enjoyable time was had by all. The pictures are great!
I can't wait to see your house and tree decorated. We are enjoying the trees outside our windows. We
have a beautiful view and behind the house, paths that we can walk thru a winter, wonderland :) lots of snowcapped trees!!! It's beautiful, wish you were here to walk with us, especially Caitlin and Caleb, I think they would like this place. I love you, Mom

Stef said...

How fun. I just have a hard time cutting down trees every year and especially paying the money for one...so we have our fancy fiber optic. What a fun little place to go though!